Saturday, September 18, 2010

Latina in Tennessee

Moving to Memphis, I knew the demographics of Latinos would be much lower than Phoenix.  (Phoenix 42% vs. Memphis 3%).  And so, I was not expecting to see many faces that looked like mine. What is unexpected is  how often people ask if I'm Spanish.  I'm not offended.. I understand it... but am amused.

I saw a Latino guy at the gym and wished we hada a way to acknowledge each other.  I know, I could have said Holaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.  What I'm talking about is a universal sign.

For example, when black people see each other in a particularly non-black neighborhood they "nod".  Ryan taught me about the nod.  It's like a secret handshake or a way of saying "I see you".   I think that's so cool, and wish we had one.

Any ideas?

5 comments:

La Chola said...

Who are those people in the picture? I think if you come across latinos you should say, "Que pasa calabaza?"

La Chola said...

Or you can also yell out, "Chonis!" If they laugh you know they're down and brown.

Party of Three said...

Hey Chola, those are two great suggestions. I will try them out. loca.

My darn Tgt computer doesn't let me upload pictures. so at times I have to "borrow" pictures from the web. All's good in love and artistic expression. :-)

Flower Pot said...

Sister, I say you try...Chino Chino Japones...and if they finish it your in!

Party of Three said...

Come caca y no me des... love it