Saturday, November 13, 2010

My people

I found my peeps today.   My people, the brown, the strong the wonderful people of Mexico. They live in the Southwest side of Memphis - towards the airport.    The area looked like Pomona, where I grew up.  or 59th and McDowell in Phoenix.    The usual dollar stores, check cashing/envios a Mexico, and muffler shops were around.

I went to the area looking for a store called La Unica.  I was looking for masa for tamales.  Turns out the store is more of a restaurant than a store.  The location is quite large, unfortunately they're only using 1/2 of it.  The other half was empty.   Maybe they're planning on expanding - but seemed like a waste of good real estate.  La Unica was no Ranch market.  They only had a few items like chicharones, agua fresca, and a small selection of pan dulce.

I was so excited to find this place.   Check out my loot.  I bought masa for tamales, fresh corn tortillas and carnitas. 

2 comments:

La Chola said...

That looks good! What is it with our people and muffler shops?

Party of Three said...

Sadly, it looked better than it tasted. The carnitas were allright, and I threw out the tortillas.