I found it! I searched high and low, asked strangers at the stores and found it using good old yellow pages and some detective work.
I want to make traditional tamales around Christmas time for my new friends aka the Steel Magnolias. Those poor unfortunate souls have not had a real tamale in their entire lives. In Memphis there are tamales called "Delta Tamales". What the... my grandma didn't know nothing about no Delta tamales. She shucked her corn, soaked it and went to the mill to have it ground. Then brought it home, prepared it for tortillas or tamales and cooked over her wood burning stove. A Delta Tamale is small cornmeal tube filled with ground beef and spices. Must, say.. not loving it. It reminded me of the tamales from the elementary school cafeteria.
So today, November 9th I have found success. My original idea was to bring back 10 lbs of masa from Phoenix. I wasn't feeling well and we were just having too much fun. I didn't happen. I have randomly asked strangers, if they know of any stores to find masa for tamales. Nothing. Today, I went through the yellow pages and called a few Mexican specialty stores. The kind where the person at the other end answers "Bueno". Now, we're talking. Finally, one said they didn't sell any but I should try the tortilleria. I call once more, the lady answers "Bueno" and sounded a bit annoyed like I woke her. After I win her over with my charm and wit, she said "Yes, Senora we do have masa just let me know early how much you need and we'll have it ready for you".
I'm just making friends and influencing people all over this nation. :-)

2 comments:
Did you put mushrooms in the tamales...that is genious. Please tell me, how did they come out?
Yes I did. I was inspired by the Tamale Store in Phoenix. I added sauted mushrooms and cream cheese. They were good, and would have been great if the masa was better.
Post a Comment