Sunday, November 28, 2010

Enough

The theme for service at church this month is "Give Thanks".   Keeping with the theme Pastor Ernie did a great job conveying the message this week.  I don't recall the exact message word by word, however he said one word that really made me reflect.  "enough".   We have enough food, clothes, books, CDs, shoes .. enough of everything.   God has blessed us beyond our needs and wants.

Christmas is a tricky time of year.  It is so crucial for big business, we get bombarded with advertisements and it's all so easy to get cought up in shopping experience.  As I get older and mature in my faith.  I realize what's important to me, is celebrating Jesus's birthday and making memories with my wonderful family.   My most cherrisehd memories of Christmas growing up  are of posadas, ponche, fire pits, incredible amounts of tamales.  (I remember Vero getting kicked our every year for not folding the tamales right).  I remember all the fun we had with our aunts, uncles and cousins.  With such a huge family, a family get together was all too often a party.  I remember our gift exchange last year and how loud and hard mom laughed when I opened her bolero jacket, that was 3 sizes too small.  I remember how creative dad was when he included a classical CD to the exchange - fully knowing no one would want it.    Memories are all we will have.

Vero asked me for my Christmas list.   Please do not spend too much time, money or effort on a gift for me.  I already have more than enough.   My greatest gift will be spending time in Phoenix with my loved ones.

1 comment:

La Chola said...

Well put.....now send me your Christmas list. Sister, your forties have really made you the wise one of the family.